Who can receive Polish citizenship? 

In Poland, generally, it is based on the principle of blood. The child, whose mother and/or father are Poles, acquires Polish citizenship at birth. The simplest situation is when parents have valid Polish passports or evidence. Then they apply for a passport for their child. Importantly, both parents must agree to a child's passport and the child must have a Polish birth certificate. The situation is complicated when parents do not have valid passports or when the person who wants to obtain this document never has a Polish passport or ID card. At that time most often the so-called certification of citizenship. The appropriate application is sent to the appropriate voivodeship (the competent voivodeship is the one where the last time someone lived in Poland or voivode of Mazovia - for people born outside Poland). The application and the entire procedure are described on the website of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Ottawa.

Polish citizenship can also be given to the President of the Republic of Poland - in this case the President decides whether the applicant will become a Polish citizen or not. In some cases it is possible to apply to the Minister of the Interior for the restoration of citizenship (this applies to persons who have possessed Polish citizenship in the past but lost it by January 1, 1999). It should be stressed here that Polish citizenship is not restored to foreigners who, during the period of September 1, 1939 - May 5, 1945 voluntarily joined the army of the Axis States or their allies or accepted a public office in their service; or acted to the detriment of Poland, in particular its independence and sovereignty, or participated in the violation of human rights. The last possibility of obtaining Polish citizenship is recognition as a Polish citizen - in this case, a foreigner is legally resident in Poland. An additional requirement in this procedure is to present the voivodship confirmation of the Polish language. 

More information on citizenship is available on the Ministry of Interior website 

The confirmation of possession or loss of citizenship (in Polish only)

Granting citizenship (in Polish only)

Stages and wait times for receipt of passport 

First of all, it should be emphasized that in accordance with the current regulations Polish passports are issued only to those citizens of Poland who have registered all civil status incidents in the Polish civil status books - this means that you need to have Polish civil status records (birth, marriage, if possible divorce with appropriate entry, etc.). 

Assuming that at the time of applying for the applicant's passport, all documents (ie PESEL number, valid Polish passport or ID card or citizenship certificate, Polish civil status files) and the data in the electronic registers are the same as in the copy of civil status records - The passport waiting time is relatively short - about 6 weeks. Keep in mind that passports are manufactured in Poland and are physically sent to Canada from Canada. 

Passport waiting time expires when it appears that eg a person does not have a PESEL number, there are no Polish civil status records, or have changed data such as name, first name, civil status and such change is not registered in the Polish state books civil. At first, according to the rules in force, you need to register your civil status changes or wait for the PESEL number (it is based on the Polish civil records). 

List of required documents:

a) Passport application completed – an application is only available in the Consulate, there is no possibility to complete the application online, filling the application takes a few minutes, if there are questions, we help on the spot. 

b) Passport photo - on a white background, preferably in 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm format, but we also accept photos taken for Canadian passports (cut to size).

c) The fee, pensioners, students, children, and young people are entitled to a discount. For people over 70 years of age, passports are issued free of charge. Consulate fee may be paid in cash or by Money Order or certified cheque (Money Order and certified cheque must be issued to “Polish Embassy in Ottawa”). 

d) Polish passport or ID (preferably valid) or proof of citizenship - in the absence of these documents, please contact the Consulate - we will personally advise you on the appropriate procedure 

e) Valid identity document (Polish passport or proof - then point d) is not taken into account; Canadian passport, driver's license, Canadian social security card, etc.).

f) Polish civil status records. 

Link to the information on consular fees (in Polish only)

International and disability pensions 

E-visit program (in Polish only)